Our favorite Quickbooks tricks and shortcuts
One of the first things I do when I sit down at someone's computer to review their Quickbooks file is open up the Preferences window and turn off the Live Community feature. (Edit Menu --> Desktop View --> My Prefs) Otherwise, that window pops up automatically every time you open the program, slowing down your computer and cluttering your desktop.
Another thing I do is customize the icon bar. (Right-click, then "customize.") Get rid of all the icons you never use, like "Upgrade" and "Chart of Accounts" and "Create New Company." Then as you start using Quickbooks, add a new icon for every task you do regularly. Open the feature you wish to have a shortcut to, then go to the View Menu and choose "Add Window to Icon Bar." You can even do this for things like reports and reconciliations.
And here are my favorite shortcuts. Please note that these only work for PC versions of Quickbooks.
- Escape key--closes current window. This is my all-time, favorite shortcut.
- Ctrl + R--opens register for the account currently selected.
- Ctrl + Q--creates a Quick Report.
- Ctrl + D--deletes current item.
- Ctrl + F--opens the find window. Notice that there is a tab for advanced options, so you can search all kinds of transactions by date, name, amount, etc.
- Ctrl + A--opens the chart of accounts.